Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Independence Day.....VALUE IT!


Independence day......the day we left the slavery of British and came into the total control of the ever faithful, trustworthy leaders who managed to stay afloat over several dead martyrs.






Most of us must have read "India's Struggle for Independence". It used to make my hairs stay upright, the very thought of a 21 year old going against the mighty "British Empire" following an ideology that holds obsolete importance in today's time!

I always wonder if I could take such a decision to sacrifice my life for people who I do not know and have no interest in knowing! DIE...DIE...! this 3 letter word scares the shit out of most, yes including me. And a 21 year showed the world that you do not live serving yourself. You LIVE serving others...!
While surfing the net I came across a poll asking people as to "whats your feeling about independence day...?" And I immediately decided to answer this question with the independence day coming close the patriotism was running very high in me. But then I just sat...sat...wondering, pondering as to what do I write? I had no words to describe what I felt freedom was?

Then I sat asking my friends(Faiz, Vishal, Pinto) the question and below is an excerpt from my conversation with them;

Faiz: "nothing special..."

Vishal:"got a break from office...."

Pinto:"HOLIDAY...........!"

And that's when I realised how straightforward and truthful answers they had given nothing to hide, because that was the plain truth. And yes even I felt the same....INDEPENDENCE DAY...nothing so special, just another day that comes and goes every year...

Everyone must have seen the movie "Rang De Basanti" a fabulous movie, how impeccably is the screenplay written and the actors in the movie just came alive...! HATS OFF to each and every person associated with the movie. It reignited the long lost patriotism that had died among most of us.....how could people do such madness, sacrifice lives for the sake of the unknown? I just loved and adored the movie.....!!!! And even then I'm blank as to what freedom means...how pathetic.

This year we celebrate independence when Jammu burns...! India a secular country, how secular are we..? I must say that we treat the so called minorities with more respect and privileges are bestowed on them by stepping aside the so called majority......yes India is secular!

So then what's so special about Independence day.....well its the single most day in the year that we mortals have the chance to cherish and thank the immortals for their bravery, their sheer belief that the seeds sown by them, shall bloom in the years to come and we the lucky ones would be grateful just to be able to say "PROUD TO BE INDIAN!".
Value it...Cherish it....but do not take it for granted. As it was gained fighting and it has to be held fighting.......
Jai Hind......!

1 comment:

The Inside Story said...

Well, said !! Seems as if all came straight from ur heart. :)